HTML5 Boilerplate is the professional frontend developers's base HTML/CSS/JS template for a fast, robust and future-safe site.
After more than four years in iterative development, you get the best of the best practices baked in: cross-browser normalization, performance optimizations, even optional features like cross-domain XHR and Flash. A starter Apache
.htaccess config file hooks you up with caching rules and preps your site to serve HTML5 video, use @font-face, and drop your site's filesize by half with robust gzipping.
Boilerplate is not a framework, nor does it prescribe any philosophy of development, it's just got some tricks to get your project off the ground quickly and right-footed.
Why it is good
- Cross-browser compatible (IE6+, yeah we got that.)
- HTML5 ready. Use the new tags with certainty.
- Optimal caching and compression rules for grade-A performance
- Best practice site configuration defaults
- Mobile browser optimizations
- Progressive enhancement graceful degradation … yeah yeah we got that
- IE specific classes for maximum cross-browser control
- Handy .no-js and .js classes to style based on capability
Console.lognerfing so you won't break anyone by mistake.
- Never go wrong with your doctype or markup!
- An optimal print stylesheet, performance optimized.
- iOS, Android, Opera Mobile-adaptable markup and CSS skeleton.
- .clearfix, .visuallyhidden classes to style things wisely and accessibly.
- .htaccess file that allows proper use of HTML5 features and faster page load
- CDN hosted jQuery with local fallback failsafe.
- Think there's too much? The HTML5 Boilerplate is delete-key friendly. :)
Want to dive in?
Download Boilerplate 3.0.2 Updated Feb 19th 2012
Download Boilerplate Keep the hints and links or Download Boilerplate "stripped" No comments, just the bizniss. or Customize Boilerplate 100% hipster.